1. A strong sense of self, because you can’t be with someone who doesn’t know who they are.
2. Honesty, because your relationship won’t survive without it.
3. Joy, because if you’re going to survive through the struggles, you need to be with someone who makes you happy.
4. Integrity, because you can’t be with a person you don’t respect.
5. Accountability, because you can’t have a strong relationship with someone who isn’t going to be there for you.
6. Sense of humor, because as long as they know how to laugh at life, you’ll be okay.
7. Strength, because sometimes you’re going to feel weak, and you’re going to need someone to hold you up.
8. The ability to trust others, because sometimes they’re going to be weak, and they should be willing to lean on you as much as you lean on them.
9. Maturity, because a relationship needs two adults, not one.
10. Compatibility from the start, because that’s something you can’t really ‘work on.’
11. Independence, because being with another person doesn’t mean you should forget who you are.
12. Commitment, because the only way for a relationship to continue to grow is if you both take it seriously.
13. Vulnerability, because you can’t become close with someone if they don’t let their walls down.
14. An ability to argue in a productive way. Working through a problem will be necessary, but shouting or getting overly defensive will get you both nowhere.
15. Humility, because everyone makes mistakes, and you have to be willing to admit when you’re wrong if you want your relationship to have a chance.
16. Openness, or there will be no room for growth in your partnership.